Sunday, June 3, 2012

Fire 'Em Up

One thing about having a very crafty wife is that I end up spending way too much time in either Jo Ann's or Michael's -- today was no exception! First, she tells me that she is looking for some notebooks for a project and that she needed to go to Staples. Of course, I wanted to go with her since I actually like going to Staples. On the way to Staples, she springs on me that she also wants to go to Michael's. It seems like whenever we go anyplace, we end up at Michael's. It's pretty bad that I know where just about anything is in the store without having to think about it! While she was looking for paper and other things, I did my normal routine and wandered around the store looking like a lost puppy and looking for things I could use for fly tying. I did need some black foam, so I picked up a sheet. I cannot believe they sell a 12"x18" sheet of craft foam for $.88! This will last me for a few years or maybe more! Why would anybody buy foam at a fly shop? After grabbing my foam I wandered over to the embroidery section. Instantly my attention was drawn to the section of fluorescent floss where this yellow material jumped out at me. Instantly I thought about how it would make great butts for Fireflies.

As a kid I loved catching fireflies and of course my daughters did the same. Here at my house we have them all over the place during the summer. Every time I see them they make me feel like a kid again. Besides being endless entertainment for the younger generation, they also provide food for fish of all kind. So why not use some of the materials I picked up today and tie up a few fireflies? Here is what I came up with…let's see how well they work this summer.



Firefly


Under side



Firefly

Thread: Uni 8/0 Black
Shell Back: Black Craft Foam 1/4" Wide
Thorax: Peacock Herl

Step One


Start Thread

Step Two


Tie in Foam at Hook Bend

Step Three


Tie in Floss at 1/3 Hook Length

Step Four


Wrap Floss Back to Hook Bend and Forward to Tie In Point

Step Five


Tie in Three Strands of Peacock Herl

Step Six


Wrap Peacock Herl to 2/3 Hook Length

Step Seven


Bring Foam Forward and Tie in at Front of Peacock Herl

Step Eight


Apply Orange Dubbing and Create a Small Head.

Step Nine



Whip Finish.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice tie. How have they been working for you?

    All the Best
    Johnny Utah
    www.utahsflycorner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Johnny, Since tying these I have not seen any fire flies near the river while fishing for trout. I cannot wait to give them a shot though.

      Delete