Monday, July 9, 2012

The Inconsiderate

Is it just me or are people becoming more and more inconsiderate of other people?  I spent last weekend fishing camping and fishing at Keystone Landing in Grayling right on the Au Sable River. I could not believe the actions of some people.  Friday when I arrived, I quickly set up camp and got ready to go fishing. I started from the landing and was working my way downstream towards the stairs. When I was about 50 yards from the stairs I noticed a few guys walking down the stairs with their dog. As soon as they reached the bottom the proceeded to throw a tennis ball for the dog to fetch in my direction.  I know they have the same rights to the river as I do, but seriously could you not wait a few minutes for me go pass? And why did they have to throw the ball in my direction and spook the fish? 

Believe it or not the next night was worse?  After fishing the evening BWO hatch I went back to the campsite for a few beers and burgers cooked over the campfire. At about 10:30 I decided to make sure I was up in time for the Trico hatch and spinner fall that I figured would start around 6AM (I was close since it started at 6:30) At about 10:45 the party started a few sites away from me.  These yahoos were up partying and blaring their music and talking as loud as the could until 2AM.  While I am all for having a few beers and a good time, you have to respect other people. I would not have minded if they had shut things down around midnight.  It wasn't just me they were inconveniencing. The campground was nearly full with at least three campsites had children. I guess it shouldn't surprise me since they had a toddler at their site and didn't care about him either. Such is the ME generation.

What did I learn from this trip?? First, on July 4th weekend stay at a campsite that is either off the beaten track or has a ranger?  Second, fish someplace that is harder for people to access the river on foot. Third, if you think the flies that are coming off are a size 20 fish a size 22..  More on that next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment