Friday, October 19, 2012

Shadow Boxing a Black Rat

I may have said it before, but I will say it again, I have a very crafty  wife who makes some great craft projects and sells them at craft shows from time to time. At the last craft show she encouraged me to put out some of the flies I have been tying to see if anybody was interested in buying them since it only took up a small section of her display. I have to say I was more than a little surprised at how many flies we actually sold. Especially when you consider this was a fall festival in the middle of Michigan's thumb. For those not familiar with Michigan's thumb region, this is mainly farm country and not known for fly fishing. With that said, I was more than a little encouraged and it got me to thinking. Would shadow boxed flies also sell?  So off to the Salvation Army to see if they had any shadow box frames at a good price to see if they sell. Here is the fly and shadow box I created tonight.

Completed Shadow Box
 
 
 
 
Black Rat



Black Rat

Hook - Tiemco 7999
Thread - Uni 8/0 Red
Tag - Flat Silver Tinsel
Tail - Golden Pheasant Crest
Rib - Flat Silver Tinsel
Body - Hare's Ear Plus Black
Collar - Grizzly Soft Hackle
Wing - Gray Squirrel Tail

 
Step One



Start Thread
 
Step Two


 
Tie In Tinsel Tag
 
Step Three
 
Wrap Tinsel Forward Three Turns
 
Step Four

 
Tie in Pheasant Crest Tail
 
Step Five
 
 
Tie In Tinsel Rib
 
Step Six
 
 
Wax Thread and Dub Body
 
Step Seven
 
Wrap Dubbing Forward
 
Step Eight
 
Wrap Tinsel Rib Forward
 
Step Nine
 
Tie in Grizzly Hackle
 
Step Ten
 
Make Three Wraps of Hackle
 
Step Eleven

Tie in Wing, Create Head and Whip Finish
 

No comments:

Post a Comment