Monday, January 14, 2013

Hard Water and Ice Jigs

I don't know about anybody else but I do other fishing besides just fly fishing. Especially when it comes to putting a little food on the table. While Pike, Walleye, Perch and Bluegill can all be caught on a fly rod, I tend to chase them with more "conventional" equipment. This time of year the lakes should be frozen over and the hard water fishing begins. Tip-up and jigging rods rule the day.

This past weekend I was fortunate to attend the Ultimate Fishing Show in Novi, Mi. While checking out some of the ice fishing equipment and lures for sale I noticed a small ice fishing jig for perch.  All they are is a small painted jig head with Krystal Flash tied to the hook. Very simple tie. Instead of purchasing the completed jigs I figured I would pick up a few of the jig heads and tie up a few of my own. Here is what I came up with.

Krystal Flash Ice Jig

Krystal Flash Ice Jig

Hook - 1/80 or 1/64 oz Jig Your Choice of Color
Thread - 8/0 Uni To Match Body
Body - Krystal Flash Your Choice of Color

Step One

Start Thread

Step Two

Tie in Krystal Flash and Whip Finish

Step Three

Trim Krystal Flash to Desired Length

2 comments:

  1. Hot a question, do you tip your jigs with bait? Say a millworm or minnow??? Or do you just deploy some jigging action???

    The ice around here isn't really safe anymore. Temps have been too irradict. Might have to wait for warmer temps and a canoe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on the jig I am using. With this one I will start with just jigging. If that isnt working I will tip it with a small minnow.

    ReplyDelete