Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Crowes and the Comparadun

Holy crap I think I'm going blind.  OK not really but I may need to get a large magnifying glass or stronger reading glasses if I start tying anything smaller than a #16.  My wife told me to do myself a favor and buy the smaller flies and let the younger guys tie those. She just may be onto something there.  We shall see.

I was stumped as to what other flies to tie up for the Hendrickson hatch.  Luckily we all have a great resource for that information.  For those that have not visited Fly Anglers Online do yourself a favor and go check it out.  This site is a great resource.  In addition their Bulletin Board is one of the best if not the best.  If you need a question answered post it on the board.  Someone will know the answer.  This is exactly what I did asking about Hendrickson patterns.  I received several recommendations including on of my old favorites I had forgotten about.  The Comparadun was one of my favorite flies to tie and fish.  It is a very effective pattern and can be adapted to any possible hatch.  Now to get to work tying up a few Red Quill Comparaduns.  I figured the Black Crowes Before the Frost would be a good album for tonight.  A great live album recorded before a select audience in a "cabin" in the middle of nowhere.


Red Quill Comparadun


Red Quill Comparadun Emerger

Red Quill Comparadun

Thread: Uni 8/0 Brown
Tail: Micro-Fibbets Split

Red Quill Comparadun Emerger


Thread: Uni 8/0 Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment