Monday, June 11, 2012

Getting Ready for a Blizzard of Ephrons!!!

The weather here turned to rain today, so back to tying. Originally I had planned on tying up a bunch of Hexagenia but for some reason I didn't restock my hook supply. Luckily, during my trip to Atlanta, one of my vendors gave me an Array Gift Card. I was wondering what to spend it on. Looks like I will be spending it on supplies at Cabelas! I had to take a quick inventory to see what else I needed. It sure didn't take long to spend that $25…the hooks should be here in a few days. Just in time for me to stock up for the Hex hatch in early July.

Well, since I didn't have the hooks for the Hex, I might as well start stocking up for the Ephron hatch in August. This is one of my favorite hatches here in Michigan. When the white flies are really popping, it actually looks like a blizzard. The only problem is there are so many flies on the water it is hard to follow which fly is yours among the naturals. Hopefully I will get some good pictures of a blizzard hatch this year. If I do, I will definitely post them for everybody to see. An added bonus to this hatch is that it gets the small mouths looking up and taking flies on the surface. GOOD TIMES!!!!

This pattern is an adaptation of Bear's CDC Ephron created by Bear Andrews. Personally I prefer the Z-lon wing post since I can see it easier on the water at dusk.



Ephron Parachute


Ephron Parachute

Hook: Mustad 94840 #10-12
Thread: Uni 8/0 White
Tail: Two Piccary Hair Fibers
Rib: Tying Thread
Thorax: White Dubbing
Hackle: White Hackle Tied Parachute Style


Step One

Start Thread

Step Two

Tie in Piccary Hair. Be sure to wind thread back to 1/3 point. This is where you will start tying in the deer hair body.

Step Three


Tie in a clump of stacked deer hair. Start from 1/3 point and wrap towards the bend of the hook leaving the tips to flair slightly. Then warp forwards creating a crisscross rib.

Step Four

Tie in Z-Lon Wing Post

Step Five

Apply Dubbing to Thread and Wrap to Wing Post

Step Six

Tie in Hackle in Front of Wing Post

Step Seven

Apply a Little More Dubbing to Thread and Wrap To Hook Eye

Step Eight

Wrap Hackle Around Wing Post and Whip Finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment