Saturday, June 2, 2012

OH Deer They're Annoying

I swear Michigan has the strangest weather. It seems every weekend when I have had the opportunity to head north to do a little fishing, the weather has not cooperated. Personally, if I am going to head north fishing and camping, I do not want to be cold and wet. Hopefully the weather will turn a little nicer so I can get some fishing in soon…all I have right now is memories!

For some reason, earlier today I was remembering some of my excursions to the South Branch of the Au Sable River. There are certain stretches of the river where the deer flies seem to be particularly annoying. Why do they have to keep buzzing around your head non-stop? One time I had one that would not stop buzzing around my ears and in front of my glasses. I kept swatting at that little bugger and he kept getting closer and closer until finally I accidentally caught my glasses with one of my swats at him. Those glasses must have flown at least five feet before they hit the water and sank. Let’s just say I am as blind as a bat without my glasses, and this was long before I started wearing contacts, so I was in a little trouble! I desperately searched the river looking for my glasses, hoping I didn't step on them during my search. Thankfully, after about 10 minutes of searching, I finally saw a glare off the lenses and found them. I cannot imagine what would have happened if I hadn't found them. The two hour drive home would not have been fun -- this year I will be trying some Deer Fly Patches to see if they help. My fingers are crossed.

Since I know the weather will eventually make a turn in my favor, I better tie up a few deer flies to put in the box for when those annoying bastards are around. Here is a classic deer fly pattern that has been around for a long time here in Michigan.




Deer Fly


Deer Fly

Wings: Grizzly Hen Hackle Tips, tied down wing, delta style.

Step One


Start thread and tie in four Peacock Herl strands

Step Two


Wrap Peacock Herl Forward to 3/4 Hook Length

Step Three


Measure the hen hackle feathers and tie in down wing delta style. (I find it easier to tie in each individual feather and pull them forward by the stem to straighten and flatten them.)

Step Four


Tie in two grizzly hackle feathers

Step Five


Wrap hackle feathers forward, tie off and whip finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment