Friday, September 21, 2012

Go Suck an Egg... Well if You're a Leech

Is it just me or does the weather seem to change for the worse right after you get out of work? All day today was the perfect fall day. Temperatures were in the low 70s with bright sunny skies. That was until I finished work. Then as soon as I get home the clouds started rolling in. It didn't take long for the rain to start and ruin the plans for the evening. From what I am seeing on Weather.com it looks like this weekend is going to be washed out. Well since the weather sucks and egg I guess I should tie up a bunch of Egg Sucking Leeches..

If there is one pattern a steelhead fisherman must have in their box it is the Egg Sucking Leech. Once the salmon have spawned there is abundance of nutrients left in the rivers, whether it be the recently fertilized eggs or the dead salmon themselves. When the steelhead head upstream for their late fall/early winter run they find plenty of nourishment for the trip. Leeches feeding on the recently deposited salmon eggs are a big part of their diet.  The Egg Sucking Leech is the perfect pattern to mimic this food source. This is an easy pattern to tie and can be tied in different color combinations. My personal favorite is purple and hot pink.

 
Purple Egg Sucking Leech
 
 
 
Egg Sucking Leech
 
Thread - Uni 8/0 Black
Weight - Medium Lead Wire (or Equal Substitute)
Hackle - Purple Saddle Hackle Palmered
 
 
Step One

 
 
Wrap Lead Wire and Start Thread
 
 
Step Two
 
Tie in Marabou Tail
 
Step Three
 
Tie in Krystal Flash on Front Side then Double Back for Back Side
 
Step Four
 
Tie in Saddle Hackle by Tip
 
Step Five
 
 Tie In Chenille
 
Step Six
 
Wrap Chenille Forward Leaving Room For Egg
 
Step Seven
 
Palmer Hackle Forward and Tie Off
 
Step Eight
 
 
Tie in Chenille for Egg
 
Step Nine
 
Wrap Chenille Forward Tie Off, Create Small Head and Whip Finish
 
 
 
 
OK Let's see who read this far down. The first person to name the three steelhead pattern I have tied so far will receive two of each pattern. Please leave a comment with your answer along with your email address for me to get back to you.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Nice blog, just happened upon it. The three patterns are egg sucking leech, popsicle and rusty rat. I am just starting to tie my own flies, and took my first class last weekend. Look forward to trying out some of the patterns on your blog. My email is slalom75@gmail.com.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete