Saturday, September 22, 2012

Scored Some Aunt Lydia's!!!

Laurie and I took a trip to Salvation Army today to see if we could find any good bargains. It's surprising some of the bargains you can find if you really look hard enough. I have picked up a few really nice cast iron pans among other things. Today I couldn't believe when I saw skein upon skein of Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn. For those that don't know Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn is what Gary LaFontaine used to tie his famous Emergent Sparkle Pupa and Deep Sparkle Pupa patterns. I now have more yarn than I know what to do with. I will probably put some up on eBay at a good price to share my good luck with my fellow fly tiers.  Here is a sample of what I picked up.



I guess I should put some of this yarn to use and tie up a few Emergent Sparkle Pupas.  Gary LaFontaine spent a few years in scuba gear observing trout and the insects they eat in their natural habitat. One of the observations he made was when the caddis flies were emerging they had a halo of air around their bodies as they were swimming to the surface. To mimic this halo of air Gary developed the emergent sparkle pupa. The antron fibers in Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn trapped the air between the fibers producing the halo effect he was looking for. This fly has proven itself to be a trout magnet when the caddis are emerging. If you haven't tried them tie one on and give it a shot.

 
Emergent Sparkle Pupa Cream and Brown
(This pattern can be tied in different color combinations)
 
 
 
Emergent Sparkle Pupa Cream and Brown
 
Hook - Mustad 94840 #12-20
Shuck - Cream Antron Yarn from Over Body
Over Body - Cream Antron Yarn
Under Body - Brown Haretron Dubbing Touch Dubbed
Wing - Deer Hair
 
 
Step One
 
Start Thread
 
Step Two
 
Tie in Yarn on Top and Bottom of Hook
 
Step Three
 
Apply Wax to Thread and Touch Dub.
 
Step Four
 
 
Wrap Dubbing Forward. Body Should Be Very Sparse and Buggy
 
Step Five

 
Bring Bottom Portion of Over Body Forward Creating a Bubble and Tie Off
 
Step Six
 
Bring Top Portion of Over Body Forward Creating a Bubble and Tie off
 
Step Seven
 
Clip a Few Stands of Over Body and Pull Back Creating Shuck
 
Step Eight
 
Tie In Deer Hair Wing
 
Step Nine
 
Apply Dubbing and Create Head. Whip Finish
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment