Saturday, January 28, 2012

Parachutes in the Wind

Glad I took my daily walk when I did.  The wind is really kicking now.  Why does it seem that you are always walking up hill and into the wind?  Listening to The Dropkick Murphys gave me that little extra something I needed to get through the wind. Who would have thought Celtic Punk would be so much fun.

Last night at the tying table was another stocking up day. Again I threw in some Live Phish and went to work tying up some Parachute Blue Winged Olives and Parachute Blue Winged Olive Emergers.  At first I was struggling with catching the hackle while whip finishing. Then I remember the end of my bodkin had a half hitch tool. Why didn't I remember that at first?  Oh well at least I remembered.  Talk about making life easier. 

The BWO parachute was always one of my most productive flies while fishing on the Au Sable River. More than once this fly saved the day.  If you look at the hatch charts for the Au Sable River there are BWO's listed all summer long. If the fish are rising but not taking what is supposed to be the main hatch at the time chances are very good that they are taking Olives.  


Parachute Blue Winged Olive

Hook: Mustad 94840 #18-28
Thread: Uni 8/0 Olive
Tail: Dark Dun Hackle Fibers
Body: Olive Dubbing
Post: White HiViz or Antron
Hackle: Dark Dun Tied Parachute Style




Parachute Blue Winged Olive Emerger

Hook: Mustad 94840 #18-28
Thread: Uni 8/0 Olive
Tail: Antron or HiViz Sparse
Body: Olive Dubbing
Post: White HiViz or Antron
Hackle: Dark Dun Tied Parachute Style

No comments:

Post a Comment