Monday, January 30, 2012

Sex, Death and The Stones

It's been a couple of days since I have hit my tying desk. Time to get back into it and get ready for opening day.  Here in Michigan that means Hendricksons.  So I popped in some Stone Exile on Main Street and went to town. If I had to listen to one album for the rest of my life this would be it.  Check it out if you have not listened to it.

OK Time to let it loose and get down to some serious tying. Tonight I thought I would start with some Rusty Spinners or my version at least.  Spinners were never one of my favorite flies to tie. They always look awkward to me.  Tricos are the exception to this rule.  How can a #20 or smaller fly look awkward?  Well back to the Rusty Spinners.  So I get this, I tied up a few and showed my wife and of course she wasn't impressed and said it doesn't look like a fly.  When I asked her if it looked like a fly that just had sex and died she said she wasn't sure since she had never seen a fly after it had sex.  I wonder if the pattern would be more effective if I tied a little cigarette in its mouth?!? You never know. Actually I eventually remembered what I dont like about tying spinners.  I started tying them with dubbed bodies and they never look right to me.   However when you tie them with a quill body they look much better. While the dubbed body will work, the quill body looks much better to me. Check out the differences below.


Dubbing Body


Quill Body

Rusty Spinner

Thread: Uni 8/0 Brown
Tail: White Micro-Fibbets Split
Body: Rusty Brown Dubbing or Stripped Brown Hackel Quill with Rusty Brown Thorax

I'm sure most people who are into fly fishing caught my reference to John Gierach's book Sex, Death and Fly-Fishing. I enjoyed this story especially when he related fly fishing to sex and death.  I had never thought about it before but it makes sense when you think about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment