Sunday, January 22, 2012

Starting Over

In the famous words of Alphonse Soady, "If you don't know where to start, go back to the beginning." I guess that is the best place to start this blog.

For as long as I can remember I have always enjoyed being in the outdoors especially hunting and fishing.  Lucky for me my dad loved the same things and was willing to teach me everything he knew. At this point in time we were into the more traditional fishing methods like bait fishing and using artifical lures.  When I was attending college my dad decided to take up the hobby of fly tying.  When I left school he taught me a few things but I really wasn't interested at the time.  Let's fast forward a few years. I'm now married and have two wonderful daughters and in search of a hobby of my own. Thinking back to watching my father tying flys I figured that may be the hobby for me.  Well I was hooked (no pun intended) from day one.  Needless to say I started to get a nice little stock pile of flys.  I guess that is a good enough reason to start fly fishing.

Let's fast forward ten years. Well lets just say life happens and I got way from doing the things I loved. I am now remarried and golf has become my recreational activity of choice. However something has been missing. While watching my wife working on several different scrap booking projects it occured to me that I missed fly tying. 

I guess it's a good thing I didn't get rid of all my supplies because I have decided to start tying flies again. Can I pick up where I left off?  Can it really be as easy as riding a bike?  What things have changed from when I was tying all the time?  Follow me along on my adventure and let's learn a few things together along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment