Monday, April 2, 2012

Bully's Bluegill Spider

As usual when I was out and about taking my daily stroll, I was listening to a little Pandora Radio.On my Black Crowes "channel" this cool little drum line started, followed by an even better bass line. I was already hooked when the sweet blues guitar started in... I was convinced it was a Stevie Ray Vaughn tune that I possibly had not heard before – that is, until the vocals kicked in. Was I really listening to John Mayer? For those of you that don’t know it, John Mayer is actually a very accomplished blues guitar player. While I knew this, I didn't expect one of his live songs to get me going like this. I couldn't wait to get home to check out the rest of the album on Spotify. The album is Try! John Mayer Trio Live in Concert. While the entire album is fantastic, I will the admit the song that got me, "I've Got A Woman", is by far the best track on the album. The funny part is that my least favorite song on this album is one of his songs that gets a lot of radio play.

While I was jamming to the album, I figured I better work on a few more bluegill flies! Tonight I figured I would work on Bully's Bluegill Spiders. This pattern is a killer with big gills. When fishing this fly, work it in slowly and let it drop on each pull. More than 90% of your takes will happen while the fly is falling. This fly can be tied in any number of colors to suit your tastes. I tied this one in Olive and Yellow.


Bully's Bluegill Spider

Bully's Bluegill Spider

Hook: Mustad 3906B #8-12
Weight: Medium Lead Wire In a "ball" at hook bend
Thread: Uni 8/0 Bright Color Depending on Color Pattern
Body: Ultra Chenille Color of Choice

Step One


Attach Lead Wire in a Double Layer To Form a Ball at Hook Bend

Step Two


Tie in Ultra Chenille Towards Front of Hook

Step Three


Wrap Chenille Back and Over the Lead Then Forward Again Forming a Reverse Tear Drop Body

Step Four


Tie In Top Rubber Leg Material. Legs 

Step Five


Turn Vise Over and Tie in Bottom Rubber Leg Material

Step Six


Form a Large Head, Whip Finish and Trim Legs to Length

Step Seven

Go Fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment