Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Drumming to the Light Spruce

It seems like I have been avoiding the vise lately. I don't think I have tied any flies since the last blog update. I've been working on a big project that I hope everybody will like once I finally have everything finished. I'm not ready to unveil any details at this point…but I think this project will be well accepted in the fly-tying community! -- At least I hope it is! I have spent a lot of time and effort on it up to this point and I know I will be spending a lot more time on it in the future! Tonight I needed a break from this project and I couldn't think of anything better than tying up a few flies.

I was looking through my boxes and to my surprise I haven't tied up any streamers for the opener and it's only two weeks away. I guess I better get working on a few. Tonight my focus is on a Light Spruces fly. A great little streamer that works very well. Besides that, it looks great in the fly box!

Tonight I was in the mood for a little light background music instead of the more traditional music I tend to listen to while tying. Some great percussion music was in order, specifically Mickey Hart's Planet Drum. If you want to hear some really cool drum music check out any of Mickey's albums. What he can do with different percussion instruments is simply amazing.

Here is what I came up with tonight. While the traditional Light Spruce pattern calls for silver badger hackle, I substituted a really nice ginger hackle that I think looks much better.

Light Spruce

Light Spruce

Hook -  Mustad 79580 #4-12
Thread - Uni 8/0 Black
Hackle - Silver Badger

Step One

Start Thread

Step Two

Tie in Five Peacock Sword Fiber (About 1/3 Hook Length)

Step Three

Tie in Floss and Wrap Forward Just Past Mid Shank

Step Four

Tie in 4 or 5 Peacock Herl Strand and Wrap Forward to About 2 Eye Lengths Behind Eye

Step Five

Tie In Hackle and Wrap 4-5 Turns. Make Sure Fibers Sweep Towards Hook Bend

Step Six

Tie in Matching Pairs of Hackle Feathers. Whip Finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment