Sunday, April 22, 2012

More Projects and EHC

I've been working on a few projects lately that people may be interested in learning about! You may have noticed that I added a bead head sizing chart. The other projects will have to wait to be released until a later date. I thought I had better put the projects on hold for the night so I can tie up a few more flies for my upcoming fishing trip this weekend. I have started posting step-by-step instructions for the flies I have been tying. Tonight I was working on some additional Elk Hair Caddis and I figured since I didn't post details originally for this fly, I am posting them now in case anybody is interested.

Tonight I felt like listening to some live Grateful Dead. How do you choose -- there are so many great live shows!! When all else fails, picking a home town show always works. The Dead released their June 20, 1991 show at Pine Knob as part of their Download Series. This show was Volume 11 in the collection. Listening…I am thinking what a great show…I wish I would have been there! This show happened before I started really listening to the Dead but I do remember thinking to myself that I should get tickets and go. It wasn't until about a year later that one of my friends in college called me and asked if I wanted to go see the Dead at the Palace. I should have listened to my original instincts and gone to see this show.

Elk Hair Caddis

Elk Hair Caddis

Hook: Mustad 94840 #12-18
Thread: Uni 8/0 Color to Match Natural
Rib: Fine Copper Wire Counter Wrapped over Hackle
Hackle: Brown or Color to Match Natural Palmered Front to Back
Body: Super Fine Dubbing to Match Natural
Wing: Elk Hair

Step One

Start Thread

Step Two

Tie in Copper Wire

Step Three

Dub Body, Wrap Forward and Tie In Hackle

Step Four

Palmer Hackle to Hook Bend. Capture Hackle Tip with Copper Wire and Counter Wrap Rib Forward

Step Five

Tie in Elk Hair Wing

Step Six

Clip Elk Hair to Form Head 

Step Seven

Whip Finish

Now go catch a few fish with this nice fly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment