Sunday, April 29, 2012

What a Great Trip For The Most Part


What a great weekend! For some reason, it felt like Grayling was welcoming me home. When I first pulled into Burton's Landing Campground there were three deer standing in the first campsite watching me drive in as if to say "hello and welcome back." I made a loop around the campsite and for some reason pulled into site 10. When I pulled in there was a big Tom turkey right where I eventually set up my tent. Personally I enjoy seeing wildlife, and I thought to myself as I watch the turkey walk away that this is starting out to be a great trip.


Campsite for the Opener

With camp set, I got prepared for the cold night ahead. The last time I looked at the temperature it was 29 degrees and it had dropped from there. Thank God I brought enough warm clothes and had a hot campfire going all night. Even with the fire I had to eventually lower the ear flaps on the Kromer.

Saturday morning it was time to hit the river. I walked down to the landing ready to go. I first looked downstream to see if there were any other fishermen in the area. Then I looked upstream and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a bald eagle come over the tree tops and fly down the river.

It took me about 5 casts to eventually get back into the rhythm and throw a nice tight loop. Don't get me wrong, I still made lots of bad casts, but for the most part I was back in the rhythm. No bugs were hatching so I started with a bead head Pheasant Tail I had tied. I know that nymph fishing produces the most fish, however I prefer watching the dry flies on the water and seeing the take. I spent the first hour and a half with no takes. Kind of discouraging to say the least. The two Kingfishers looking at me from their branch seemed to be saying, "You're doing it wrong." That's when the black caddis started hatching and the little ones started looking up. I noticed a nice little fish rising not far from me so I tied on a CDC and Elk and sent the fly his way. It took three casts before I put it where I wanted. Fish On!!! As I reached down to land a nice little 12" brown, he shook the hook and swam away. Fish-1, Me-0. That would have been the largest fish landed all day. OH well… I did end up catching a bunch of smaller fish with the largest being around 8". For some reason I have never had success with the Little Black Caddis hatch. Well at least with larger fish - the small ones seem to love them. Long story short, at least I didn't get skunked!

The snacks I took with me just were not doing the trick so I headed back to the campsite for a little lunch. As soon as I took off my vest I hear a bird call I didn't recognize. I looked up in the pine tree about 10 feet from the picnic table to see a pair of Kirtland's Warblers. I couldn't believe my eyes and had to break out the phone to make sure they were actually Kirtland's. OK, I am an idiot. I should have been taking pictures instead of making an ID on Google. 

Spent a few more hours fishing until the caddis hatch finally ended. I guess in all the excitement I didn't notice that my waders were leaking. My socks and pants, up to my knees, were soaked! I ran into the Old AuSable Flyshop to get something to repair the leak. I guess I didn't patch the correct spot and they leaked again. When I went fishing at Keystone Landing the next day the other foot leaked too. At least this time when I repair them, I can do it properly at home. Looks like I get to do a blog on repairing waders. LOL.

Here are a few pictures of the AuSable for your enjoyment:


Burton's Landing Looking Downstream From The Campsite


Burton's Landing Looking Upstream From The Campsite


Keystone Landing Looking Downstream From The Campsite


Keystone Landing Looking Upstream From The Campsite

1 comment:

  1. Great pics and nice story, yeah on the little black caddis...never time it right myself either, but it's always fun!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete