Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Brassies!!

Fishing tiny flies is a given when fly fishing. It never ceases to amaze me how small of a fly some fish are willing to go after. It doesn't seem like it would be worth their effort to eat such miniscule flies, especially when there are larger flies right on the water next to them! If it were me and there is a fun-size Snickers bar sitting right next to a little tiny sliver shaved off the corner of the same bar, I would try for the normal-size bar -- it would be much more satisfying and worth my effort to pick it up. On some rivers, the fish do not seem to think the same way. They prefer that tiny sliver of chocolate while the fun size bar floats right on past them. I don't get it, but it happens all the time. So when this happens we have to go small, and when I say small, I mean Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie. When you can fit a dozen flies on top of a dime, you know you are looking at some small flies. For some reason I got the itch to tie a few tiny Brassies. A simple, easy, but very effective midge pattern.

Earlier today I was talking with a friend about Wilco and I cannot think of a better band to listen to while tying up such tiny flies. I haven't listened to their album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in a while. This album was my first introduction to Wilco and I have not looked back since. This is a very interesting album to say the least. I love how they intermixed the "radio" and "air wave" sounds throughout the album. You would have to listen to the album to understand what I am talking about, but it adds a very interesting element to each song.


#28 Brassie Close Up


One Dozen Brassies

Brassies

Hook: Mustad 3906 12-28
Thread: Uni 8/0 Black
Thorax: Peacock Herl

No comments:

Post a Comment