Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Drums on the St Vrain... Well Sort Of

My has done some extensive family tree research and according to him our family in the US is descended from a Prussian soldier that fought during the American Revolution.  He has not mentioned anything about any Irish or Scottish heritage.  As much as I like listening to Pipes and Drums there has to be some in there someplace.  There just has to be. A friend of mine introduced me to the very cool "alternative" pipes and drums group Tartanic.  Their live album Unleashed is fantastic.  It really gets my blood pumping. Even better it was recorded live in Livonia, MI not far from me.  I had to laugh when I caught myself stacking elk hear to the beat. It's a good thing I put down a piece of foam on the desk. I could have easily put more than a few dents in the desk.

Earlier I was flipping through A.K.'s Fly Box and decided to tied up some of his St Vrain Caddis.  I have fished this fly a few times and it is a great pattern especially on quicker water. If you haven't tried fishing this pattern you should.


Tan St Vrain Caddis

St Vrain Caddis

Thread: Uni 8/0 Tan
Body: Tan Very Fine Dry Fly Dubbing
Wing: Elk Hair Length to extend past hook bend by half hook-gap distance. Wing should be sparse
Hackle: Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment