Monday, February 20, 2012

Gartside Sparrow and Son Volt

In the mood to tie something different today.  Lately all I have been tying is flies I will be using for Brooks, Browns and Rainbows.  But what about the Steelies and the Salmon runs we get here in MI?  It got me to thinking about some of the fun we used to have on the Pere Marquette river.  It seems that every fish I ever hooked was on the Gartside Sparrow.  A nice simple straight forward fly that catches fish.  I don't care if they think it is a nymph of a small bait fish, it simply works for me.

While I'm in the mood to tie something different how about a little different music?  Well I have been listening to a lot of Wilco lately but what about the other band that split off of Uncle Tupelo? If you have to ask the other band is Son Volt.  I'm not sure which band I like better.  I guess it depends if I am in the mood for a little Alt Country or some Mid-Tempo Rock.  Either way both bands are fantastic.  Tonight I felt like listening to Son Volt's Trace. In my opinion their best album hands down.  I find myself singing out loud throughout the album. Especially when "Tear Stained Eye" is on.  I just had to go back and play it again while typing this. What an amazing song!!

Well back to the tying. The Gartside Sparrow can be tied in any number of colors depending on you preference. First you will find the aftershaft feather needed for the head behind the pheasant rump feather needed for the collar.  Be careful when wrapping the aftershaft feather.  Believe me it it real easy to break this fragile feather.  Aside from that this is a very easy straight forward fly to tie.


Gartside Sparrow

Gartside Sparrow

Thread: Uni 8/0 Color to match body of they fly
Tail: Marabou tied short approximately 1/4 of the shank length
Hackle: Pheasant rump hackle tied in as a collar, to extend at least to the tip of the tail.
Head: Pheasant aftershaft feather(s) wound around shank just in front of collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment