Saturday, February 18, 2012

Hendrickson Spinners with Ben Harper

While I still had out A.K.'s Fly Box I was flipping through the pages I stopped and at the section on Wound-Hackle Spinner Wings.  I had always seen these in the fly shops when I was up fishing but never actually tied any myself.  They had always caught my attention because they looked like a very effective spinner wing.  I guess now is as good of time as any to start tying them. Tying something new required something a little different than I had been listening to lately.  Some Ben Harper would fit the bill perfectly and what better album then Diamonds on the Inside.  The first time I heard the title song I was hooked.  Funk, Blues, Reggae and a little Rock all on one album. I guess I am showing my age when I call them albums.  My kids call them CDs and I'm sure my grand kid will not know what either one is.  It's a shame the new generation will not know the joys of listening to an album like Exile on Main Street of Dark Side of the Moon...  But I digress. Back to the topic at hand.

The wound-hackle spinner wings proved to be a little easier to tie that I had imagined.  At first it was a challenge to get the wings to be even on both sides but once I took my time it was simple. Basically I pinched one side while doing my figure eight and once they were separated I did a quick wrap of thread around the wing on each side. I will be tying all but the smallest and of course the Hex's this way from now on. 

Hendrickson Female Spinner

Hendrickson Female Spinner

Thread: Uni 8/0 Tan
Egg Sack: Yellow Dubbing
Wing: Grizzly Hackle Hackle Wound Then Separated to Form Spent Wings

No comments:

Post a Comment