Thursday, February 9, 2012

Wilco and the Spiders. March Brown Spider That Is.

Have you ever run across one of those albums that just really gets you going?  A couple weeks ago I ran across Wilco's Kicking Televison, Live in Chicago while playing on Spotify.  What a fantastic album! From beginning to end this album never disappoints. I really need to see them live. I have been a Wilco fan for a while and I cannot believe I missed there show here in Detroit last month. Oh well hopefully they will be back soon. Last night I planned on tying up some more soft hackles and ran across the pattern for the March Brown Spider and instantly I thought of this album. Of course I don't own it so I had to make room in the closet for my laptop so I can listen to Spotify just to listen to this album. I am so glad I did. I have to get this album. As a matter of fact I am listening to Spiders as I write this.

Well on to the March Brown Spider.  From what I have read this is a great searching pattern that imitates several different mayfly species. I know several spots where I think this fly will come in very handy this year.  There is one spot on the South Branch of the Au Sable that I have tied into a very large brown several times but was never able to land him.  While I know time has passed and he is long gone but this spot should always hold a large fish. A deep hole with an undercut bank and a tangle of old logs.  It couldn't be a better spot. Every time I tied into a fish there it was always on a sunken fly so this should do the trick. I just have to remember to use a heavier tippet this time.


March Brown Spider

March Brown Spider

No comments:

Post a Comment