Saturday, February 25, 2012

Swapping Again... Ah The Memories..

Well I did it. I decided to join a fly swap.  Back when I was tying all the time I used to host a ton of fly swaps back on the old Virtual Fly Shop Bulletin Board. How many people remember that BB? There isn't a forum today that compares to that site.  What a shame. But let's get back to the swapping. Let me explain what a fly swap is for those that may not know.  As swap is basically a group of tiers that trade flies. What happens is a Swap Meister (host) posts a message about starting a swap. He will let everybody know how many swappers can join and what the theme of the swap is.  Let's say 10 swappers and the theme is Caddis Dry Flies.  When 10 swappers sign up the fun begins. Each swapper will then tie 10 of the same pattern, one for each swapper, an mail them to the Swap Meister.  The Swap Meister will collect all the flies and then send each swapper one of each pattern sent in. This way each swapper will get one fly from each person. It was always fun waiting for the mail to see if a package of flies arrived and what treasured awaited me. I have swapped flies with people from all over the world and throughout the US.  Good times and great memories.

Speaking of memories, when I was tying my flies for the swap (Gartside Sparrow BTW) I threw Van Morrison's Moondance into the CD player. Every time I listen to this album I think back to my college days at Northern Michigan University. My buddy Dan used to play acoustic guitar and sing at one of the local bars. It was always a good time to kick back have a few beers and listen to Dan sing a few songs for us. I can still picture him singing "And It Stoned Me." I had never heard the song before and now it is my favorite Van Morrison song to this day. Dan and his brother are still playing some great music.  If you are ever in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and you see the Truckey Brothers are playing you should do yourself a favor and check them out.

OK back to the swapping. Here are the flies I tied for the swap.  Let's hope everybody is happy with them.



I was also playing around and tied up this little sucker. A #28 Olive X-Caddis.  A guy could go blind tying flies this small.


No comments:

Post a Comment