Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Out of Storage Old is New Again

Well blogger has been down for a few days but things are fixed again.  I guess I should keep up on my browser updates.

With the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo coming up in a few weeks I figured it was about time to take all my fly fishing gear out of storage to make sure everything is still in good working order and that I still have everything I need.  The show will be a great place to pick up needed items. After pulling everything out it looks like I only need to pick up a few minor items. Not too bad.  Guess the bank account will not take too big of a hit after all. Now to go through all my fly boxes to see what I need to tie. Oly Wha do I have a TON of flies.  I have three 6"x12" plastic boxes full of flies just from old swaps.  Another two of flies that I had tied myself. That's not including the three boxes of flies that I used for fishing that were in my chest pack. I think I could open a fly shop of my own.

While going through my fishing boxes I came across a bunch of flies that were still in good condition but their hackles were a little smashed from being in the box for so long. So I grabbed my wife's clothes steamer and went to work.  For those that didn't know, if you need to restore the bent hackle on old flies just pass them through some steam and the feathers will magically restore themselves.  It's a great trick. Check out these differences.


Before


After 


Before


After

The after images are still a little "damp" after the steam bath but you can see the differences. Well back to the bench.  Hopefully I will have another pattern tomorrow for everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment