Saturday, March 24, 2012

All Hail the Prince Nymph

Had a little bit of indecision on what to tie tonight. I knew I wanted to tie up some more nymphs since my nymph box looks a little light but what to tie. I was flipping through the Orvis Fly Pattern Index and narrowed my decision down to three: The Prince Nymph, The Zug Bug or The Brassie. At first I was going to tie up some Brassies but first I showed them to my daughter and my wife to get their input. My wife looked at the Prince Nymph and said "You can't tie that. It looks too nice." Gee Thanks!!  Challenge accepted.. I didn't tell her that they really are not that hard to tie. But she didn't need to know that. I personally think the Gold Ribbed Hares Ear is more difficult.

Still on my Dead kick. The Closing of Winterland should do the trick. Another smoking live album. I especially love this version of Miracle into the Terrapin Suite. The actual Terrapin Station always makes me think about sitting around a campfire looking up at the stars.  I am so glad that they Dead have put so many of their best concerts out on CD for everybody to enjoy. It makes it so much easier than trading tapes like in the old days. 


Prince Nymph

Prince Nymph

Thread: Uni 8/0 Black
Weight: Lead Wire
Rib: Fine Gold Wire (Original calls for Silver Tinsel)

If you are looking for a way to save a few dollars on materials check out the craft stores. Joann's is the only place to purchase goose biots in my opinion. They are so much cheaper that what you can purchase them in the fly shops. The quality is a little less but it really doesn't matter when it comes to the biots. However while the craft stores do sell peacock I will NOT buy it from there. The peacock sold in fly shops is much better in my opinion. Also if you check the Sunday paper there is almost always a 40% off coupon. It's a good way to get that Ott Light you have been craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment