Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Messing Around and Trying to Get Creative

I have come to the conclusion that if I want to fish Muddler Minnows, I will be buying them.  What a pain in the butt. I guess it would help to take a lesson on how to tie quill wings because those just did not turn out right.  The deer hair wasn't much better. Guess I will be spending a lot of time on YouTube trying to figure those things out. Well I guess I should work on some other flies but I really didn't feel like tying up any traditional well known patterns. For some reason I felt like tying whatever came to mind with the materials on hand.

First thing though I need a little something to get my creative juices flowing. I think Son Volt's The Search will do the trick.  I have not listened to this album in a while. With this playing in the back ground, I kept thinking to myself, "Why don't I listen to this album more often". Jay Farrar is at his best on this album. 

So here is what I came up with, fly-wise. I know, not too original, but still new for me and they look like they will catch fish. Then again, you never know. Does anybody know the names of these two patterns? 

Number One: I checked it does sink when wet and the movement of the CDC should be enticing.



Thread: Uni 8/0 Tan
Body: Natural CDC Feather Wrapped along hook like the CDC and Elk
Thorax: Peacock Herl

Number Two: For some reason this is the one I really like. Just something about it. I know this is more of an old English style of wet fly. I had seen the two hackles (one in front of the other on another) fly and thought it was interesting.



Hook:  Mustad 3906
Thread: Uni 8/0 Black
Tail: Black Hen Hackle Fibers
Back Hackle: Black Hen Hackle
Front Hackle: Dun Hen Hackle



No comments:

Post a Comment