Monday, March 26, 2012

Copper John and Graceland

Today I was planning on tying up a few Brassies but while on the Michigan Sportsman Fly Tying Forum earlier there is a great thread on what flies a beginner should carry for small stream fishing here in Michigan. While I had my ideas on what should be in a beginner's fly box another poster went much more in depth came up with a few more flies in addition to the ones I had posted. One of the flies he had listed was the Copper John. Believe it or not this was the first time I had seen this fly. This pattern looks like a very deadly little nymph pattern. I had to give it a shot at tying up a few and hopefully fooling a few browns this summer! It looks like I have all the materials on hand so let's get down to business and tie up a few Copper Johns.

While not tired of listening to the Dead, I felt like listening to something a little different tonight. Flipping through the CD collection I ran across Paul Simon's Graceland.  I truly believe this album is one of the top 10 albums ever made -- I am actually on my fourth copy (one cassette and three CDs). Guess I need to be a little more careful with the CDs! Paul Simon is one of the best song writers and I LOVE  the African beats and rhythms he added to this album. Every time I listen to it I cannot help but sing along. The last time I had the album out my wife informed me that I needed to take singing lesson, but that's another story.

OK back to the Copper Johns. I guess it's not too bad for my first attempt at this pattern. Oly Wah, does the macro setting on the camera pull out every little fault. I guess that's what happens when you put a magnifying glass up to something. Oh well, the main thing is that they look good in the hand, and I am sure the fish will be a little surprised.


Copper John

Copper John

Head: Brass or Tungsten Bead
Weight: Lead Wire
Thread: Uni 8/0 Black
Thorax: Peacock Herl
Wing Case: Black Flashabou


No comments:

Post a Comment