Friday, March 23, 2012

A.P. Stands for All Purpose.....

Started filling up the fly boxes today. As of right now I am planning on carrying three main boxes in the chest pack along with another couple secondary boxes in boxes in my fanny pack. Box one will be my Mayfly dries. That one is pretty full already for the opener and beyond. I will use one of the secondaries for one time hatches like the Hex and Ephrons. Box two will be my Caddis dries. Like box one this one is full. Secondary One as mentioned before will be one time short hatches along with attractor patterns for brookies. Secondary Two will be terrestrials.  Which brings us to Main Box Three. You guessed it, Nymphs and Wet Flies. Looks like I am set on wet flies. Well at least I hope so. Which brings us to the nymphs. I have been very busy tying pheasant tails in various sizes and different colors. To me this pattern is the most versatile nymph pattern for just about any mayfly species and some caddis for that matter. However I noticed that I hadn't tied any nymphs for BWO's. Looking through the supplies I noticed I don't have any Pheasant Tails dyed olive. I don't plan on making a trip down to Ypsi any time soon so I guess another pattern is in order. Which brings us to the A.P. Nymph. A.P. stands for All Purpose Nymph and that is exactly what this pattern is. This pattern is VERY similar to the pheasant tail but it uses dubbing in place of the pheasant tail fibers.

Well time to get to work. I'm still on my Grateful Dead kick. The Furthur concert cannot get here soon enough. With so many great live albums it's hard to choose which one to listen to. OK here we go Ennie, Meenie, Minnie, Mo. AH YEAH Scarlet, White and Indigo.... What an absolutely fantastic album! This show recorded on July 7th 1989, it started out hot with Hell in a Bucket and just kept getting hotter and hotter until the ending with Knocking on Heavens Door. As I am writing this I keep going back to listen to the version of Iko. Great tune!


A.P. Nymph Olive

A.P. Nymph 

Weight: Lead Wire
Tail: Mallard Flank Color to Match Natural
Body: Muskrat Dubbing to Match Natural
Wing Case: Mallard Flank Color to Match Natural
Legs: Mallard Flank Color to Match Natural from Wing Case

No comments:

Post a Comment