Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Original Adams

Yesterday I was reading a post on the Fly Anglers Online Forum which was discussing a fly that someone happened to call a "Purple Adams." This started a discussion about the Adams fly and if this particular one could be called an Adams or not. I won't get into that discussion, but it got me to wondering how many people really even know what the original Adams looked like? I don't think there is any fly fisherman who would argue about the success of the Adams and I can almost guarantee that in every fly box, on any given river in this country, there is some form of an Adams in there! I did a little research and found some great information on how the Adams originated and what it originally looked like. To make a long story short, Leonard Halladay came up with the fly in 1922, and gave it to a gentleman by the name of Lon Adams to fish the Boardman River right here in Michigan. The next day, Mr. Adams returned, and asked him the name of the fly because it was a "knock out." He named the fly the Adams since Mr. Adams had made the first "good catch" with it. If you would like to read the whole history you should check out the article in "The Adams: History Revisited by Tom Deschaine" in Hatches Magazine.

Here is my first attempt at the Original Adams.


Original Adams

Original Adams

Hook: Mustad 94840 #10-20
Thread: Uni 8/0 Gray
Wings: Grizzly Hen Feathers Tied Slightly Spent and Forward
Hackle: Brown and Grizzly Mixed 

You will notice there are three major differences when compared to the modern Adams. First, the tail is golden pheasant instead of hackle fibers. Second, the body is made of wool yarn instead of the muskrat dubbing. Third, the wing is tied slightly spent and forward slightly. I think I may tie up a few more in different sizes, break out my Orvis Far and Fine and give them a shot. What do you think?






No comments:

Post a Comment